Housewives, healthy-people, and neat-freaks: I need your help.
Soon, I will be moving. “But why haven’t you already moved, Sandy?” Simmer down, judgey. It’s not that simple. Yes, I got out of debt last summer. Then, I saved some money so I wouldn’t go into debt again. Then, I had several job relocation possibilities that complicated things (my company was aware and extremely supportive) and then, the holidays happened.
So here I am. Buying things for a kitchen I don’t have and an apartment I don’t live in. But come on- aren’t they adorable?
Having my own place isn’t just a “finally-leaving-Milpitas-and-being-on-my-own” fantasy. It’s the freedom and peace of mind to finally focus on my health. I want get back to a place where I feel in control. Where I can stop hating my body, being self-conscious, and making smarter decisions. I want to feel young again. Living at home makes this nearly impossible. I know, ultimately, I am the one who’s responsible for what I eat/don’t eat, what exercise I do/don’t do, etc. But to be perfectly honest with you…..when I’m home, I just don’t care. I don’t see a reason to care.
That being said, I’ll let you in on another fear of mine: the kitchen. I don’t cook. I can make sandwiches, and a few things from Trader Joe’s. Once I made a couscous recipe from the back of a box (with chicken, basil leaves, chopped peppers, etc) and I felt like fucking Emeril Lagasse. And even when I do “cook”, it’s a mess. I think to myself, “How does everyone else seem to know what they’re doing?”
So, to calm my nerves, I’ve written a list of simple questions that I somehow don’t know the answer to, but I’m sure you do. (I even I told my friend about this blog and she straight-up laughed at me.) Any suggestions, links, or advice is appreciated. You can answer here or send an email to: sandy(at)sandystec(dot)com.
* How do I dispose of meats properly?
* What materials are best for cleaning counter tops?
* Should I avoid using sponges all together?
* Can you recommend any natural products to use?
* What fruits are okay out of the fridge and for how long?
* How can I keep my fridge smelling fresh?
* What should I clean the floors with? (I HATED doing this when I lived on my own. Guess I’ll have to get used to it again…)
* How do I keep the trash smelling clean, or odorless?
* Can you leave juices uncovered in the fridge?
* What materials are unsafe and shouldn’t be used in the kitchen?
Additionally, I will take any healthy recipes you have. I have a Weight Watchers food scale and Jack LaLanne juicer sitting in a box at home because there’s no counter-space in the kitchen. But when I move, I’m eager to make these a part of my daily life!
Thanks in advance for your support and suggestions!